7 Rainy Day Activities For Kids
When June sets in the Philippines, expect rainy days every now and then until the end of the third quarter. Don't let these rainy days ...
When June sets in the Philippines, expect rainy days every now and then until the end of the third quarter. Don't let these rainy days hamper the fun for your kids. These indoor activities will help keep boredom away on these pouring days!
- Make an indoor tent - Kids love pretend play, it's a time they use their imaginations a lot. Encourage this by making a shaft out of chairs or boxes and a big blanket that you could tie on hooks in the room is a treat for them. Don't forget to go inside too and pretend to be a member of their gang.
|Corner tent made of blanket, inside is a small table and soft couch|
- Story-telling time- Get those books from the shelf and tell stories to them. It's not only fun but also educational. Encourage the big kids to read parts of the story. This rainy day activity will also cultivate their love for reading. You can get creative too! I call our story-telling activity, "Story-Chop-Chop." It's where I start the story's first few sentences, then let my son continue where I chopped it. We take turns telling how the story goes until it ends. It's hilariously fun and highly imaginative!
|Books my 8yo and 1yr old sons love to read. Bought them at BookSale|
- Arts and crafts - Get those colored papers, craft scissors, pencil, glue, crayons, paint and what have you. You may draw or make something out of nothing. It sharpens creativity plus it's fun. No more boring rainy days. I encouraged my son to borrow a drawing book from the library last Friday just like this one:
|A drawing book borrowed from the school's library by Top That! Publishing, UK|
- Play some music - If you're into music, the rainy day is the perfect time to sing out loud! If you're a musically inclined family, get that guitar sitting there and strum it. You may also plug that CD player, midi or connect your MP3 players to the speakers and hit the play music button. Let the kids sing their favorite songs. Sing together!
|My hubby's acoustic guitar. We make a lot of good music with the kids!|
- Board games - Buy educational board games that teach kids to think strategically and help improve memory such as the "Connect Four," "Memory Game," "Domino," "Snakes and Ladders," and "Checkers." It's entertaining and a fun way to pass time during the rainy day.
|Checkers, Match-Ups, Memory Game and Connect 4 Board games are among our collection|
- Movie time - Gather the family in the room and cuddle while watching a good family movie. Consider films that teach lessons and values you want your kids to learn. This weekend, our family watched "Lorax." It's an animation that teaches about the importance of taking care of our environment, specifically the trees.
|Image from Teaser Trailer|
- Cook together - A hot meal is always a hit during rainy days. Cook their favorite chicken or beef mami soup, Lugaw with vegetables (malunggay, carrots, potatoes or squash to name a few) or Champorado! Get the kids to help you, but with extra care. You can make them set the table. This activity teaches the value of helping, sharing and responsibility.
Rainy days don't need to be gloomy as how the dark clouds are. Find the sunshine in the genuine and contagious smiles and laughter of your kids by doing these creative, imaginative and fun indoor activities! Happy rainy days!
Like this post? SUBSCRIBE to to this blog by clicking HERE