Tuesday, February 26, 2013 Kids Mommy Time Moms Know Best Wilkins
WILKINS Moms Know Best: My Standards Of Internet Safety For Kids
Tweet If you've been following my blog, you'd know that I am a full-time working mom in a telecommunications industry. There...
If you've been following my blog, you'd know that I am a full-time working mom in a telecommunications industry. There I'm taught how to be more techie, social, and use the internet wisely. With this, I've learned that kids of this generation are called "Digital Natives" which my two boys, 9 and 2, are part of. They are both knowledgeable in the functionality of my mobile phone, my laptop, the LED television, PSP, the X-Box and the use of Internet.
The last one is what I'm most scared about because they could be exposed to any content, regardless if it's for kids or adults, at any given time. That could happen most especially if they are not guided or supervised while surfing the web/mobile internet.
|My techie kids. Mobile and web internet users at an early age.|
Here are some household safety standards I enforce when they (particularly my pre-teener) surf the internet:
- Give them a list of Kid-Friendly websites they could visit.
- Bookmark certain websites to lessen search and risk their exposure to adult content.
- Limit their internet time to weekends only and after doing homework.
- Supervise their internet surfing at all times.
- Configure privacy settings of their Facebook/Social Media sites
- Not to give information to strangers on line
- Never let anyone know your password (Mommy/Daddy excluded)
- Orient Rules and Internet Etiquette (kiddie version) to be applied on (Facebook) sharing, status composing and in instant messaging.
Seriously, if you want internet safety for your kids, you have to be committed and consistent in implementing those guidelines so at an early age, they are already digitally cultured.
Remember the time when your children were younger and you only want to give them the safest drinking water and you choose just Wilkins? That's how serious I am when it comes to internet safety for my kids, I want to give them the BEST love, care and protection just how Wilkins is when it comes to drinking water. Because you cannot put a price on your family's safety.
How about you? Was there any situation when your motherhood was compromised or challenged? If you do, I highly encourage and invite you to share your story and submit it to Smart Parenting.
- Writers of the 5 selected stories for publication in magazine will each receive Php 5,000 cash and Php 5,000 gift certificates for Wilkins products.
- Grand winner (story will be turned into a short film) will receive Php 10,000 cash and P5,000 gift certificates for Wilkins products
How to join:
- Only MOMS aged 18 and above can submit their stories.
- In 400 words or less, write about how you give your family the best love and care. You may include the challenges you faced, the lengths you have gone to, or the sacrifices and difficult choices you needed to make.
- You may write in English, Tagalog and even Taglish.
- Submit your story to HERE
Disclaimer: Some talking points in this post were suggested by sponsor. However, the views and opinions stated herein are purely my own.
If you find this post helpful, informative or entertaining, feel free to SHARE it.
You may also SUBSCRIBE to my blog by clicking HERE.